Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Don't despair, Cub fans, as...

...my son texted me last night while I was crying into my non-alcoholic beer:

It's just monkeys hitting a rock with a stick.

(Meanwhile, my wife said the rain at the end of the game symbolized tears. I live with a bunch of poets!)

But think about what my son said for a minute. Is baseball essentially a species of advanced apes just swinging a big club at a rapidly-approaching sphere? And, what's more, are they doing it of their own free will, or are they somehow programmed to do it, like a dog chasing a frisbee?

That's as good as any lead-in I can think of to the video above about whether or not free will is just an illusion. My son sent it to me the other day and asked for my thoughts. And, honestly, I wish I had something more insightful to add, but I don't. This guy says it all.

It's a little hard to hear, but it's well worth thirteen or so minutes of your time.

No comments: