Friday, April 18, 2014

Sentences like the one below, from...

...a piece on the front page by Michiko Kakutani, are among the many, many reasons I read the New York Times (my emphasis):

In novels like “One Hundred Years of Solitude,” “The Autumn of the Patriarch” and “Love in the Time of Cholera,” [Gabriel] García Márquez mythologized the history of an entire continent, while at the same time creating a Rabelaisian portrait of the human condition as a febrile dream in which love and suffering and redemption endlessly cycle back on themselves on a Möbius strip in time.

Huh? It's also why I keep my iPhone handy when reading.

While I had seen "Rabelaisian," "febrile" and "Möbius strip" before, I had to look up each one to understand what Ms. Kakutani was saying about Mr. Garcia Marquez. And I appreciate a writer (and a newspaper) that either a) assumes I'm familiar with those references, or b) challenges me to learn them.

No comments: