Monday, December 24, 2012

Sen. Lindsey Graham...

...of South Carolina was on Meet the Press yesterday (John McCain must have been sick) and he said at about 4:43 of this video:

"Well, I own an AR-15. I've got it at my house."

And David Gregory, who did a good job over all, let it pass. But what I wanted him to ask Graham was: Why on earth do you own an AR-15? Why do you have one of those in your house? What are you so afraid of?

But Gregory didn't, of course, and it made me realize how nearly impossible it would be to pass meaningful gun control legislation in this country (at least any time soon). The fact of the matter is, a large percentage of Americans own guns and can't imagine giving them up. What's more, the NRA and others have been suggesting in the wake of the Connecticut shootings that the problem in American is too few guns, not too many.

So I can only conclude that the mass shootings we've seen in recent years will become the new normal. And we'll all just have to get used to it. I don't see any other way out.

Sorry for such a pessimistic post on Christmas Eve.

No comments: