Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I've often thought...

...that everything is derivative, or, as Ecclesiastes put it in the Old Testament, "There’s nothing new under the sun."

So I guess it shouldn't have surprised me that the beginnings of both "Mr. Tambourine Man," by the Byrds, and "Light My Fire," by the Doors, both borrowed from Bach.

In the above video, Roger McGuinn explains at about 19:55 that he began the 1965 folk-rock hit "Mr. Tambourine Man" (which was written by Bob Dylan -- talk about derivative!) with a riff from Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring," which he, in turn, borrowed from Pete Seeger. (Is your head spinning?)

Meanwhile, Ray Manzarek, in this clip at about :50, also reveals he borrowed from Bach for the intro to the 1967 song, "Light My Fire."

(Slow news day.)

No comments: