Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mike Bickle is the founder...

...of something called the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, Missouri. According to a piece in the Times today, it provides "an elaborate 24-hour system of worship, seen around the world on a live webcast."

Bickle sounds like a bit of a con artist to me:

The staff and students here are required to spend at least 25 hours a week in the prayer room, and they also engage in weekly fasts of a day or more. The focused worship, Mr. Bickle says, affects real-world events by weakening the demons and strengthening the angels that swirl among us. Most important, he says, the incantations, multiplied worldwide, may help usher in the long-awaited final days: seven years of bloody battles and disasters that will end with the Second Coming, with true Christians spirited to eternal bliss and everyone else doomed to hellfire.

Sound crazy to you? It does to me. And -- truth be told -- I have to wonder how intelligent his followers are. Then I got to the last two paragraphs:

Sarah Sun Kim, 32, came here for a three-month visit while she was a graduate student in politics at Harvard, working on nuclear weapons issues and North Korea. She has stayed for five years and is now vice president of the Bible college.

“I felt the emotions of God, that I could actually converse with him and he really loves me,” she said. “Now I believe my prayers will bring more change than what diplomats can do with policies and arms control theories.”

A graduate student at Harvard. How could that possibly be?

No comments: