Monday, July 25, 2011

George Will should retire.

Yesterday, on This Week, the 70-year-old columnist said that the Treasury secretary, Timothy Geithner, no longer had credibility with House Republicans. My jaw dropped. I wanted to scream at the TV, "The field of economics no longer has credibility with the Republican Party! Reality no longer has credibility with this bunch!"

But no sooner did I compose myself than Mr. Will said that the House Republicans had already passed two budgets, the Ryan Plan and "Cut, Cap and Balance." Was he serious? (Again with the jaw dropping.) I wanted to ask Will if he could name one -- one -- mainstream economist who had endorsed either of these cockamamie plans. Even Representative Ryan didn't take his plan seriously: "It's not a budget, it's a cause."

Really, someone who's close to George Will, someone who loves him, needs to tell him to retire.

No comments: