Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Name of the Day...

...belongs to Geoffrey Boycott, a famous British cricket player.

I thought that was an unusual surname when I came across it in a profile of Theresa May, the front-runner to become Britain’s next prime minister, so I did a little digging.

According to Surname Database (my emphasis):

The surname first came to real prominence in the 19th century through the activities of Captain Charles Boycott (1832 - 1897). He was the land agent to the earl of Erne in County Mayo, Ireland, and was 'socially excommunicated' for his refusal to bow to the growing power of the Land League in Ireland. He gave his name to the verb 'to boycott,' a term which it is said, is now used in every European language.

They say you learn something new every day. I can go back to bed now.

No comments: