Friday, August 28, 2015

My Saturday Game of the Week...

...will be Bolingbrook at Glenbard West at 1:30. (Although Simeon vs. East St. Louis at Gately at 6:00 would be good too.)

But I prefer sports in the daytime, Duchon Field in Glen Ellyn is a lovely place to see a game, and I'm calling for the Brook to come in and upset last year's 8A semifinalists. Why? Just a hunch.

I know, I know, Glenbard West is ranked No. 2 in the Sun-Times, No. 3 in the Trib and No. 6 in MaxPreps. They have arguably the best running back in the state in Sam Brodner and only lost narrowly last year to eventual 8A champion Stevenson. (If memory serves, they held the Patriots scoreless until the last minute or so.)

But John Ivlow (above), the coach of Bolingbrook, is a wily competitor who usually shows up with a speedy offense and a stingy defense. This year's squad includes Tuf Borland (which was my Name of the Day almost a year ago), a 6'2", 225-pound linebacker who is committed to Ohio State. 

(To my knowledge, the two programs have never faced each other before. Until last year, I'm pretty sure Glenbard West was always in 7A while the Brook has been strictly 8A.)

Can the Raiders, unranked in the Trib, No. 12 in the Sun-Times, and only a nose-bleed No. 65 in MaxPreps surprise the Hilltoppers? Maybe.

No comments: