Friday, February 20, 2015

Still processing my trip...

...to LA and my re-entry to frigid Chicago. In the meantime, here are a few good quotes I found on the City of Angels before embarking two weeks ago:

"Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles." (Frank Lloyd Wright)*

"Figuratively, literally, metaphorically -- any way you want to look at it -- everybody in LA keeps a bag packed. Just in case." (Michael Connelly)

"I normally live in Los Angeles, if you can call it normal living." (Morrissey)

And then there was this gem from the BBC (my emphasis):

I was also pleased to attend a local dinner party at which one guest announced his self-imposed dietary restriction -- that he wasn't a full vegetarian but he only ate meat when he was outdoors and another mentioned she only ate meat after 6pm.

Gotta love those Angelinos! 

* Wright's Hollyhock House (above), in East Hollywood, was one of the many sites I did not see on my vacation. (I also didn't go to the Getty Center, the La Brea Tar Pits or the Nixon Library, so don't ask.) While not a big sightseer as a rule (I hate crowds) I'll admit I tried -- kinda, sorta -- but quickly aborted the mission when I couldn't even get in the parking lot. I later found out (again, my emphasis):

The city celebrated the re-opening of the architectural masterpiece by keeping it open for 24 hours. LA residents flocked to the site, and many waited in line for several hours for the chance to wander around the house and its grounds.

I ended up going out to Pasadena to have lunch with an old friend instead. It was a great trip and I'll have a lot more to say in the next few days or so.

No comments: