Saturday, September 15, 2012

My weekend of high school football...

...began with a one-hour drive out to the western suburbs for the Glenbard West - Hinsdale Central game.

I arrived early for the contest, at about four o'clock, but right on time for dinner at the Highland Queen Drive-In in nearby La Grange. I ordered a "Brute" burger with cheese, a small order of fries and a chocolate malt. It was a gorgeous September afternoon so I opted to eat al fresco, at one of the aluminum picnic tables outside, below.

It didn't matter, really, as the seating inside wasn't much different: an eclectic collection of strictly utilitarian patio furniture. ("Creative," I thought to myself.)

The food was excellent, however (the tomato on my burger tasted as though it had just been picked from the owner's garden!), and the ambiance overlooking 55th Street was nothing short of exquisite.

But soon it was time for The Game.

I had never been to Hinsdale Central and was looking forward to the showdown between the two undefeated West Suburban Silver teams. I'd read a fair amount about the Red Devils' offense: quarterback Brian Owens, running back Jack Adams and the 6'6" wide receiver Ian Bunting. Would this be the first time since 2007 that the Red Devils bested the mighty Hilltoppers from Glen Ellyn? Alas, it was not to be.

But it started out looking that way as the Hinsdale squad jumped out to a 17-7 halftime lead. But, like so many favorites I've seen in recent years, Glenbard West made the necessary adjustments at intermission and came out playing like an entirely different team in the third quarter. Behind the clutch play of quarterback Henry Haeffner, running backs Joe Zito and Scott Andrews, and the Vanderbilt-bound wide receiver Nathan Marcus, the "Hitters" scored three touchdowns to make the final score 28-23.

(Shout-outs should also be made to linebackers Contrell Silmon of Glenbard and Andrew Pyle of Hinsdale.)

Glenbard West seemed a little small to me but explosive. They're really good when they want to be. I may see them one more time during the regular season, on October 20, against Downers Grove North (currently 3-1).

Today also began auspiciously, with breakfast at Sparky's, on Oakton in Skokie, above. I met my buddy Tom there and enjoyed a delicious Western omelet with American cheese, hash browns, and rye toast.

Here's a view of the inside of the venerable North Side establishment (and no, that's not me). I know it looks glamorous, but it's strictly no-nonsense.

Another beautiful day was in store for me as I headed back west to Loyola Academy in Wilmette. It was another intra-conference showdown, this time between the visiting Celtics of Providence (which the public address announcer kept pronouncing with the "hard" C) and the host Ramblers.

Although Loyola graduated a number of seniors from last year's 8A runner-up team, I came away thinking that this season's squad may be every bit as talented. The Ramblers had little trouble with the visitors from New Lenox as they went up 21-14 at the half before putting the Celtics away for good, 41-21.

Peter Pujals looked good at quarterback for Loyola, as did Julius Holley at running back. On defense, Luke Ford was the star.

On Providence, 6'4" wide receiver Miles Boykin was the most notable player (and a Sophomore, to boot). This kid is going to be giving other Catholic League Blue coaches headaches for the next couple of years.

Providence hosts St. Rita next week while the Ramblers play their Freshman team against the varsity of Gordon Tech. (Not really, but at least it would be a fair fight.)

I'll probably see Loyola next against Brother Rice at home on October 13.

No comments: