Monday, December 21, 2009

I just watched Meet the Press...

...and talk show host Tavis Smiley was one of the guests. I've always thought that Smiley was an odd last name and could make for some uncomfortable situations.

The awkwardness could begin early in school. I can almost hear a nun yelling at him, "Wipe that smirk off your face, Mr. Smiley!"

It would extend to the playground, "I'm gonna kick your butt, Smiley!"

Bad news, of course, would be difficult to convey. "I'm afraid your dog has been run over by a bus, Smiley."

And consoling him would be next to impossible. "There, there now...don't cry, Smiley."

Hard to picture him as a Bond villain. "So that's your little scheme, eh, Mr. Smiley: world domination."

But what if he fell in with a bad crowd? "We, the jury, find the defendant, Mr. Smiley, guilty."

And worst of all, "I sentence you, Mr. Smiley, to ten years at hard labor."

But seriously, could you imagine saying any of those things with a straight face?

No comments: