Friday, January 5, 2018

Brendan Byrne, whom I remember...

...as the governor of New Jersey when we lived there in the 1970s, died at age 93.

What I didn't remember was his sense of humor. From his obit in the Times:

"There was a poll that showed 96 percent of the people knew who I was, and 4 percent thought I was doing a good job."

"It is not true that I can only read at a fifth-grade level," he told a group of [local journalists], after being roasted at a press dinner. "I read out-of-state papers, too."

 "I knew I’d get re-elected when people started waving at me using all five fingers."

"Remember that stuff they put in our food during World War II, to prevent us from getting excited about girls?" he said at the dedication of a military monument when he was 84. "It’s beginning to work."

No comments: