Thursday, November 23, 2017

My son graduated from Dartmouth...

...in 2012. (I have only one son who went to college, he went to only one, and he left almost six years ago. That's my only personal experience with higher education -- except for watching college football games once in a while on TV -- since I got my own graduate degree way back in 1992. So it's admittedly a small sample; but it's all I have.)

One day, when my wife and I were visiting him on campus, we walked past a tent on a street corner with an "Occupy Dartmouth" sign. (It looked much like the picture above. I know it's not the best, but it's all I could find on Google Images.) I was actually encouraged by the sight -- college kids today are politically active? Who knew? But my son, who played a varsity sport, was a member of a fraternity, and dated a girl from Connecticut whose father was a big shot on Wall Street, i. e., a typical Dartmouth student, was dismissive. "That's just a couple of fanatics," he sniffed. Talk about a role-reversal!

But I've often wondered, is all this talk nowadays about colleges and universities being "politically correct" with "trigger warnings," "safe spaces," and fear of "microaggressions" more hype than reality? I mean, really, have you ever heard anyone in real life mention any of that? Like, "Boy, when I was in college just a few years ago, I couldn't believe all the time we spent talking about 'trigger warnings,' 'safe spaces,' etc." I haven't. (Is it just me?) Or is all this a figment of the fevered imaginations of the talking heads on Fox News? After all, "Occupy Dartmouth" was only about a dozen or so students out of a student body of over 6,000. (In other words, a fraction of one percent.) And I wonder, is all this current chatter about "politically correct" colleges and universities just made up of a handful of kids at a handful of schools?

P. S. From Paul Krugman's column this morning:

...according to Pew, 58 percent of Republicans now say that colleges and universities have a negative effect on the country, versus only 36 percent who see a positive effect.

Gee, where do you suppose that came from? Could it be the constant bashing from right-wing outlets like Fox about "political correctness," etc. on campus?

1 comment:

Ed Crotty said...

My daughter goes to Vanderbilt U - and I have heard that there are certain isolated situations where speakers introduce themselves with their preferred pronouns - like this document https://www.ccsu.edu/lgbt/files/PreferredGenderPronounsForFaculty.pdf - Also - I have heard reports that this is standard practice most/all of the time at uber-liberal Oberlin College. In talking to parents and students that I know - From Datmouth, Duke, Vanderbilt, multiple Big 10, regional midwest schools and College of DuPage - In general the students I have been in contact with are concerned mainly with their future careers, the classes that will get them to those careers, parties & alcohol - sometimes in that order, other times in reverse order. The students are often times more liberal than their parents ( because unlike their parents, they understand racism is wrong ) - but I know of 2 white male students whose parents are center-left and the boys are solidly on the Trump train - reading Ayn Rand, etc. ( I think it would happen less with girls? )

So what the Fox News folks are upset about is 1) Campuses treating minorities ( both POC and LGBT ) with respect instead of disdain. 2) Campuses treating problems ( Global Warming, rising Fascism ) as real problems instead of fake news. 3) Campuses treating hate groups ( Nazi, KKK/Confederate, anti-lgbt ) with disdain instead of respect.

my 2¢