Monday, October 9, 2017

Before Week Seven, I predicted...

Photos from the Buffalo Grove vs. Hersey football game on Friday, Oct. 6, in Arlington Heights....that all seven of my Magnificent Seven programs would make the playoffs. But, going into Week Eight, I'm beginning to have my doubts.

First of all, Buffalo Grove (6-1) and Hersey (6-1), above, are still sure things, and Glenbrook South (5-2) is about as sure as you can get without being metaphysically sure. After that, however, things start to get a little dicey.

My remaining four teams, Thornton (4-3), LaSalle-Peru (4-3), Crystal Lake Central (4-3) and Stagg (4-3) all lost last Friday, making my generous prognostication of the previous week look positively Panglossian.

To be honest, six of my Mag 7 schools went down over the weekend. (It could have been all seven if Hersey hadn't played Buffalo Grove.) What, are you guys trying to make a liar out of me or something? I'm on your side!

This week Glenbrook South is at Evanston (4-3), Thornton hosts Bolingbrook (6-1), LaSalle-Peru travels to Rochelle (4-3), Crystal Lake Central is at home against Dundee-Crown (1-6) and Stagg is at Lincoln-Way West (5-2).

I'll say GBS beats the Wildkits, I like L-P's chances against Rochelle and CLC is an almost certain winner over Dundee-Crown. But the Raiders should be heavy favorites over Thornton as will Lincoln-Way West against Stagg.

So where will that leave us after Week Eight? Glenbrook South should improve to 6-2, while LaSalle-Peru and Crystal Lake Central could both be 5-3. That would make the Titans a lock for the playoffs and make the scenario look awfully rosy for the Cavaliers and the Tigers. But Thornton and Stagg could both drop to 4-4 making Week Nine a must-win for both. The Wildcats will host Lincoln-Way Central (6-1) in the season finale while Stagg is on the road at Moline (5-2). The Chargers of Palos Hills could still pull a rabbit out of its hat, but I'm having a hard time seeing a path to the playoffs for Thornton. That would turn my Magnificent Seven into a merely Oceanic Six, or a Secret Six, or a Sinister Six. (What else could I call them, the High-Achieving Half Dozen? The High-Class Half Dozen? The Heavenly Half Dozen? I don't like any of those either.)

Come on, Thornton! Don't force me into using a lesser Notable Numeral.

No comments: