Monday, February 1, 2016

All right, here's one last tune...

...that Paul Kantner wrote. (And then I'll leave you alone.)

"D.C.B.A.-25" is from the band's second album, Surrealistic Pillow, released in 1967. (If I had a nickel for every time I listened to that album I'd have a lot of nickels.)

The title of the song is both prosaic and psychedelic at the same time:

The letters in the title refer to the chords used in the song, and according to Paul Kantner, the number is "a reference to LSD-25. It's basically an LSD-inspired romp through consciousness. I can't even remember the words at this point."

Well, here are the words.

Kantner may denigrate "D.C.B.A.-25," but I think it's a beautiful song, both instrumentally as well as lyrically. Not only is it one of the best on Surrealistic Pillow, it's one of my favorite Airplane songs of all -- why hasn't it received any air time? "D.C.B.A.-25" also has the distinction of being the only one on the album that Kantner both wrote and sung. (And sung with Grace Slick, with whom he had a child.)*

Now, I know what you're thinking: Speaking of Ms. Slick, why haven't you mentioned "Somebody to Love" or "White Rabbit"? And what about some of Marty Balin's tunes, such as "It's No Secret"? Well, I love all of those, but this is Kantner's moment.

* Despite what I wrote in an earlier post (and what Kantner himself said in the video), the two were never married.

No comments: